On October 10, 2015, Utah Olympic Park hosted the Sam Jackenthal Celebration of Life following his tragic passing in an Australian skiing accident. Today, we’re continuing to celebrate his legacy of kindness and positivity by encouraging the same in others.
On the first-ever Live Like Sam Day, we’re challenging the community that Sam left behind to participate in random acts of kindness towards themselves and others. We’ve put together a full list of possible activities so you can celebrate in whatever way speaks to you! Ready to change the world one act of kindness at a time? Get inspired through the methods listed below.
Show Yourself Some Love
It’s all too easy for us to forget to show ourselves kindness in our effort to be caring to others. But self-care isn’t about being narcissistic: It’s about making mindful choices that ensure you’re being taken care of by — well, you!
When we treat ourselves with kindness and respect, we live healthier, more fulfilling lives. Take a moment to treat yourself with kindness today and celebrate the small things through one (or all!) of the following activities:
- Give yourself a break and do something you love, like taking a nature walk with a friend
- Do a meditation on kindness or self-love
- Read a favorite book or poem
- Listen to a podcast on kindness or self-love
- Define your own values: What does kindness mean to you? How will you continue to show yourself kindness every day?
- Blast your favorite feel-good music
- Cook your favorite meal and eat it mindfully
- Create a list of your best traits and place it where you’ll see it every day
- Post a picture of yourself and list all the great things about it
- Buy yourself a present you’ve been denying yourself
- Show your body some love and catch up on some sleep
- Take a long, hot bath
- Celebrate a recent success
- Write yourself a letter about why you deserve love and kindness
For even more ideas to show yourself kindness on Live Like Sam Day, click here.
Acts of Kindness
One of Sam’s best qualities was that he always seemed to have time to spare for others. As we honor his memory and spread kindness on Live Like Sam Day, consider how you can show the people in your life that you care. Pay it forward today through one of the following activities:
- Write a thank-you note to a parent, friend, or even a stranger
- Donate your old stuff to someone in need
- Let someone take your place in line
- Make someone laugh
- Give someone a compliment
- Call up a family member just to say “I love you”
- Volunteer at a pet shelter, homeless shelter, or other community service event
- Leave flowers on your neighbor’s doorstep
- Cook for someone you love
- Pick up trash you see in the community
- Write a kind or encouraging note on a napkin and leave it for someone to find
- Insert coins in someone’s parking meter
- Hold the door for someone else
- Show a new kid around your school or town
- Read for children at your local library
- Plan a surprise for someone else
- Listen to a friend in need
- Leave money in a vending machine for someone else to use
- Give up your seat on a bus or train for someone else
- Pay for the person’s coffee in line behind you
- Call out a friend or family member on social media and share why they’re important to you
For even more ideas on showing random acts of kindness, click here.
Live Like Sam Day
While Sam may no longer be with us physically, his spirit has left a tremendous impact on us all. Celebrate his life and legacy of kindness by taking time to treat others with love, care, and respect today. For more information about Live Like Sam Day and joining the celebration, go to the Live Like Sam Day web page. Join the fun on social media using #LiveLikeSamDay!